Friday, December 6, 2013

My Story

Today is my 2nd birthday and I turn 6 year old. 
It has been six years since my last bone marrow transplant.
 6 Years and I am still here!

In November of 2008 a month shy of my "1st Birthday" I wrote down my story. I sent it to my immediate family but was hesitant to share it with anyone else. I just wasn't ready. This last year I have been prompted and have felt many times that I need to share my story. We have moved around a lot and each move I have met and gained new friends. I share bits and pieces but never got into anything really great detail. On this anniversary of my transplant I am posting my story. Since it was written in 2008 I had thought about adding to it as much has happened and taken place but decided  to post it how it is. The miracles have not stopped in my life. My family and I experience tender mercies everyday. Our story continues on and that is a miracle all in itself.

My four “J” Miracles
                Over the last months I have been in a very reflective mood.  After receiving the good news of my last pet scan, that my body is finally responding to the treatment s I have been given, I have looked back on the journey that has brought me to this day.  In reviewing the last four years I realized that there are four main miracles that have made my life a fulfilled and happy one amongst all the sadness and trial. Coincidentally they all start with the letter “J”.  Let me tell you about each of these miracles and what they mean to me.  I must forewarn I don’t nearly have the words to describe what these miracles mean to me but I will try my best with the words provided in the English language.
Miracle #1: Jason Willard Balls.  This Man is my husband.  Jason came to me at a time that was totally unexpected.  It was the summer of 2004 and I was 20 yrs old.  I was in the process of turning in my mission papers to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  I had some lumps on my neck that were classified as just side effects from mono, but after weeks of little change the doctors decided that a biopsy should be done before I headed out into the mission field.  It was then that they found that I had Hodgkin’s disease, Lymphoma.  It was decided that I was to start 12 rounds of chemotherapy and the mission would be put on hold.  I was devastated to say the least.  My whole world was crashing down around me with something that was totally unexpected.  However something else happened that was very unexpected, but this time in a good way.  This boy…Jason came to visit me after I was first diagnosed. On his first visit he brought me a teddy bear and flowers.  It was a good visit, he remembers me being extremely medicated, and I remember just being extremely happy to see him.  We talked and then he left.  I started chemo treatments and a week after my first treatment this boy...Jason came back again to visit.  This time he brought a quilt with messages from friends written on it. He gave it to me and told me that he hoped that it would bring me comfort.  I was totally blown away. I had seen this boy everyday in High School all four years.  We ran cross country and track together (well in track I ran and he pole vaulted but he was there).  We went on a cross country date together our junior year and I even wrote in my journal that there was something different about this boy…Jason.  Our senior year we got to know each other pretty well.  We were both senior class officers. He was the President and he appointed me as an officer.  We traveled to Washington D.C together on a class trip and I got to sit next to him on his very first flight back to Salt Lake.  I don’t remember a whole lot now about that trip but I do remember talking and laughing the whole flight home with him.  This boy…Jason kept coming over.  Most of my friends came once or twice at the beginning but after the initial visit they dwindled but Jason came on my good weeks when he could.  We had some good times despite the fact that I shocked him a couple of times but pulling out clumps of hair to show him that the chemo treatments were working.  I also felt comfortable enough to show him my hair at its Gollum (from Lord of the Rings) stage.  Then finally I felt comfortable enough when we went out one night to leave the wig in the car and go into a movie with my balder than bald head.  When I was with him I didn’t care.  He made me feel comfortable and made me feel like myself.  The summer went on and we went out for ice cream, made cookies, and took drives and walks and the whole time it was like there wasn’t this whole cancer thing going on.  I claim that I was a little more pre-occupied with the whole cancer thing to really see what was developing before me, it took a talking to by my mom and a dinner conversation with TJ (my awesome brother in law) and my sister Cami to make me see what a miracle I had right in front of me….this boy Jason.  I did finally see it and I can tell you the exact date it was, where the exact place I was sitting, what I was holding and the feelings I felt.
The date was October 5, 2004.  A very special day for several reasons:  First of all it was the day of my 12th treatment, my last day of Chemo.  It also just happened to be Jason’s birthday.  I had just returned from my last chemo treatment feeling a joy that I can’t possibly explain.  I was sitting on the back steps at our house on Center Street and I was holding a beautiful bouquet of flowers.  I was looking at the card that had a message of congratulations from Jason and all of a sudden I knew….I knew that this was the man that I was going to marry.  It was like the heavens opened and for a moment I could see him being in my life and the feeling of complete comfort and peace took over.  I knew that there had been a miracle and I had found my eternal companion.  We were sealed in the Logan, Utah temple on June 21, 2005. That was another day of joy that was indescribable.  When we walked into that sealing room holding hands and seeing all our family and friends who had supported us through all the trials I lost my composure and cried through the whole ceremony, this time due to complete joy.  We have now been married for three years and I have to say the miracles have kept coming.  Jason has shown such an unconditional love throughout all our trials.  He has been at my bedside all those months, enduring months of bad food, bad sleeping arrangements and protecting me from insensitive nurses and doctors. We have celebrated together, we have cried many times together, but most importantly we were together through it all.  Jason’s name means healer and I believe that is a miracle in itself.  I cannot express all the times where I had been so very sick and I was getting no relief from the medicine that I was given and my body was in so much pain.  Then, Jason gave me a priesthood blessing and my body was at peace.  There were many conversations when I tried to explain the pain that I had suffered when the doctor’s response was “And then this all just went away the next morning?”  Jason is my first miracle and it is only fitting that I should list my second miracle now because Jason had a big part in this one as well.
Miracle #2: Jackson Cooper Balls.  This is my son.  As I type these words my eyes are filled with tears.  He truly is a miracle.  In fact before he was born I wanted his middle name to be “milagro,” which is miracle in Spanish.  The story with Jackson starts almost the same way as it does with Jason.  Jackson was truly an unexpected miracle.  I had been told because of all my chemo and radiation treatments that infertility was a high concern.  I was not given very good chances and my expectations of every having a child were very slim.  As a precautionary step we were taking preventative measures to make sure a pregnancy would not occur because the doctors said my body needed at least five years of recovery for it to be a successful pregnancy if one did take place.  Jason and I had several discussions about this issue and decided that we were just going to see how things would go.  When we felt ready we would look at our options, mostly considering adoption.  Well we got to December six months into wedded bliss when I started to feel weird.  I thought I had a cold that just wouldn’t go away and one day I took a pregnancy test, well to be completely honest I took four tests just because I couldn’t believe the results. All four of those tests were positive.  It was then that miracle #2 presented itself and had me readjusting my life for the good again.  At first I could not deal with it.  I was afraid that something was going to go wrong because it had happened soon after treatments and they told me my body needed at least five years and it was just over a year at this point.  After several nights of endless prayers and long talks with my parents and Jason, I came to the conclusion that this was a good thing and from then on I was determined to look to the positive throughout my pregnancy.  The Pregnancy was pretty much unremarkable.  I had bad nausea at the beginning but that was nothing compared to what I had experienced with my chemo treatments.  I could endure the nausea because I knew the cause would not cause my hair to fall out instead I was helping my child grow and develop so that I could be its mother.  The timing again was remarkable.  Cami and Tj had just announced a month earlier that they were having a baby due in August.  I had just qualified for my health insurance for full coverage and Jason had gotten a new job with a higher pay raise.  Things were finally looking up.  Jackson Cooper Balls was born on September 25, 2006 at 3:54 p.m.  That was the most incredible experience.  To see his little face after waiting so long just to hold him and to kiss him and just to be with him.  It was another moment where I was overcome with joy and tears flowed freely.  Then he was placed in my arms and I looked at him and knew he was a miracle.  Jackson was an incredibly good baby.  He slept a lot!  I guess he needed all that sleep because the last four months of pregnancy he was constantly kicking and rolling around giving me little rest.  It was hard to take my eyes of him and I often found tears rolling down my cheeks as I feed him during the middle of the night when it was just the two of us and all the world was quiet.  I had one good month of feeling great when things started to go wrong.  Both of my legs became numb and in the course of three months I was barely able to walk with a cane and was sent down to Salt Lake for a visit with a neurosurgeon.  It was there they that discovered that a tumor on my spine was responsible for all the damage.  I was rushed into emergency surgery on December 21, 2006, four days before Christmas. The surgery was intense and the recovery would be long.  I had a lot ahead of me when I woke up after my surgery and honestly I didn’t know if I had it in me.  It was at those moments when I thought I did not have the strength that I thought of my miracle one and two and I knew I had to fight for them, so thus started my second journey with my cancer. I had to undergo more rounds of chemo, this time it was harsher and stronger.  I also had 15 more radiation treatments, which made me, reach my threshold for the amount of radiation my body could endure. This time it did not end with just surgery, chemotherapy and radiation. I had to have a bone marrow transplant. And so I did, on April 3 2007 was given an autologous bone marrow transplant.  Meaning that once my body went into remission for the second time my good stem cells were collected and then sent back into my body. The intent was to eradicate all the bad cells and help my body to start producing new good cells.  I was required to be in the hospital for at least four weeks.  Jason and I made the decision, with Jack being so young he would go live with my parents in Florida while I was in the hospital.  This way he would not have to be passed around and he would have a stable environment to grow and develop in.  That was one of the hardest things to do.  Send our  five month old baby away.  Jack being the miracle baby he is, made us all feel better about the situation.  On the day we took him and my mom to the airport it was rough and we were all expecting the worst.  However Jack surprised us all and was so happy and was so excited to go on his big adventure with his Grammy.  He looked at us with loving eyes as Jason and I said good bye and turned to his Grammy with pure confidence.  It was again at that heart breaking time that I looked at him and was determined to make it through this and to fight with all I had so I could be with this little miracle.
The transplant went well and soon I was at Cami and Tj’s house recovering.  I had made it through the tough weeks of transplant and had forced down the awful food just so I could be released to be with my baby and family again.  I was released from the hospital and had a weekend to recover and then the wonderful day came when my mom brought Jack back home to us.  Seeing Jack after all the time apart is an image that will be ingrained in my head forever.  Despite my fears, Jack recognized and reached out for me.  As I wrapped my arms around him a rush of joy and contentment filled my body.  A mother should not be away from her baby, it just doesn’t work.  That was a time of pure joy.  Jack had grown quite a bit and showed us all his new tricks.  He had continued to develop and grow amidst the love of his Grandparents and Aunt Kate.  That in itself is a miracle.  Jack has always been so easy going and willing to go to anybody.  He knows that he is loved and looks forward to the adventures and fully gives himself to his caregivers.  It has been hard to recover with a baby but he was such a good therapy for me.  He forced me to get up out of bed to take care of him and when I was having a bad day all I had to do was look at him and things didn’t seem so bad.  The bitter is bitter, but oh how the sweet is sweet.  Jack continues to this day to be a daily inspiration that reminds me not to take any day for granted.  That simple joy can be found each day in the spirit and actions of a child.  The most precious words that have ever been said to me have been “mama” in his little voice.  He truly is my miracle baby and always will be.  I am able to be with miracle #1 and#2 today because of miracle #3.
Miracle #3: Jacob Ashley Brenchley.  This is my brother.  Ever since I was little we had a family saying in that I was Jake’s mold.  There are four children in my family, one boy and three girls.  Cami, my older sister and Kate my younger sister are molds of each other.  They are molds in that they have the same mannerisms and a lot of the same characteristics. Since they were molds, I was told I was Jacob’s.  It is hard to compare yourself to a boy but we do have some similar characteristics but it wasn’t until this year did we discover how true that statement has been.  Jake and I are truly molds now.  After the first bone marrow transplant I had made it to the end of the summer.  I had hit my long awaited 100th day after transplant and was allowed to come out of seclusion.  I was also free to move back to Logan.  So after living with Cami and Tj for close to eight months we found a new apartment in Logan and were preparing to move back.  On the very day that we were moving I was feeling achy and started to rub my next to relief some of the pressure and my heart just dropped, I had discovered a new lump.  We moved to the new place and the tumor in my neck kept getting worse.  I went to the doctor and had some tests done and the cancer was back.  When she told me the news I thought what do we do now? She we started to ask questions about my siblings.  She went on further to say that now we would have to take the path of an Allogenic bone marrow transplant.  We would have my siblings tested to see if they were a good bone marrow match.  I was concerned that my siblings would have to go through pain but the doctor put things into perspective. She said that she was sure my family would be willing to help in any way that they could.  I was comforted in knowing that my siblings would do anything for me.  They sent out the testing kits and we waited for the results.  I was told not to be disappointed if none of my siblings would be a match.  Some families had ten kids and no matches.  We didn’t think the odds were very good with just the three siblings.  When the results came we were all shocked and another miracle had occurred. The whole miracle of thing is that when we got the results, Cami was the first one to match.  When I heard that news tears sprang to my eyes.  What a miracle to have one match! Then it got better.  A few days later we found out that Jake was also a match, a more perfect match.  Two out of the three siblings were a match.  What joy there was on that day!  Thinking about it all I am still in shock at what a miracle just occurred at the beginning of the process.  This was a good sign that things were going to go well. Jake flew out a few days before Thanksgiving for a consult and to get ready to collect.  My mom, Cami and I waited for him at the airport.  When we saw him tears once again flowed from our eyes because of the joy and the feeling of hope that we all felt.  It all was resting on Jake’s shoulders and he was so willing to accept it all.
The last week of November Jake went through all his tests and then we went weekly together to the hospital each morning.  Jake to get his shots and I got my chemo to start the process to deplete my cells. On December 4th, 2007 I was admitted yet once again to the bone marrow unit to take on my second bone marrow transplant.  Jacob collected on December 5th and the morning of the December 6th.   Then on the afternoon of December 6, 2007 I received my brothers’ stem cells.  This transplant day was much different than the first one.  First of all there was so much more riding on this one.  My brother was the selfless one to endure those nasty shots and bone pain to give such a gift to me.  There were so many people there to help share in this wonderful and miraculous procedure.  Before it started Jake gave his cells a little talking to.  He told them to go in there and do what they were supposed to do.  Then the cells were infused into my body.  As I was lying there in my bed watching the cells flow into my body it was a feeling of joy, of hope and of absolute love for my brother for helping me.  As I looked up at my family who were crowded around my bed, they were all teary eyed and feeling the same feelings that I was.  At that moment the room felt very crowded.  I believe there were a lot more people in that room besides my family and the nurse and doctors.  There was such a great peace and feeling and it was then that I realized what a miracle it truly all was.  Jake and I are linked now, molds in every sense.  My blood type has now turned over to his and my eye color as well.  His cells have completely taken over my body and to this day they continue to produce the things to keep me alive and healthy.  I have two clean PET scan results to prove this.  My selfless brother gave me new life.  He has given me the ability to witness the little miracles that surround me every day.  I have had the opportunity to celebrate holidays, my birthday and most importantly to see Jack grow up and to teach him the things that only a mother can teach a son.  I am able to be with Jason and continue down the road to a good life.  Jake is my miracle #3 and he has made me a daily example of a miracle in all definitions of the word.

My miracle #4 is also someone who is very close to me and through this experience I have had the opportunity to develop a close relationship with.  My last miracle is Jesus Christ, my Savior.  I feel like he should have been listed as miracle #1 because of his sacrifice he made for me so long ago.  It is because of Him that all the miracles in my life have occurred, this is why I feel He is good as my miracle four. As a conclusion as the string that ties all the miracles together.  It was through faith in Him that I know that I made it through the hard times and trials.  It was His love and ultimate sacrifice that carried me through those heartaches and the hardships.  Yes to be honest there we several times where I felt totally alone and helpless.  There was pain and there was no relief…or so I thought. It was in those times of complete anguish that I have never pleaded so hard and it was during those times I have never felt such love and complete peace.  He did hear my cries and sometimes relief was not immediate but I know this was to strengthen me further and to try my Faith.  These were lessons that at the time I felt like there was no help but looking back now, He was refining me so that I could accomplish greater tasks and hurdle greater anguish.  He is my Savior, My Redeemer and it is through Him that I can do and be strengthened in all things.  I am humbled and once again I am at a loss of words to truly express the gratitude that I have for all the miracles that have occurred and have continued to occur in my life.  I am blessed and I know that it is through Him and all the miracles that He has given me that I have survived.  I hope to live a long and happy life.  I hope to be an example and that my actions and things that I will do in my life will be a testament of the love that my Savior has for me.  My life has truly been changed and will be forever touched because of my four “J” miracles. 


Celebrating my 6th birthday with my J miracles. 
Jackson, Jason and Jake.