Friday, September 6, 2013

First Grader

We officially have a first grader in the house!
 Jack comes home from school happy and so very talkative. 
He loves first grade and we are all so happy for him.

My favorite thing about the new school year. Watching Jason give a father's blessing to Jack for his coming year.
One thing on our supply list for Jack this year were some head phones. He put those things on and walked around the house dancing to his music. The teen years flashed before my eyes.
The first day of first grade.
Jack has had a growing Summer, he has gotten so tall.
I mean look at that handsome 1st grader.

It's hard getting back into the grove of things after a Summer of no schedule, no alarm clocks and endless playing. The first day is easier to get ready for but it's the second day that is hardest. The excitement has worn down. For that reason I  planned a dinner full of Jack's favorite things to coax him out of bed. I promised shrimp, meat and most importantly chocolate cake for our special dinner.

I made it while he was away and his face lit up when he saw the finished product when he came home. He couldn't wait for dinner.


We had Jake, Meredith and Mom and Dad join us for our back to school feast. I had fun planning the menu and preparing all the food. We never got a picture of it because I was too busy in the kitchen and I seem to be the documentor in our family.

Our Menu
Spinach salad with Pears and Cranberries
Steak with Red and Green pepper Kebabs 
Chocolate Raspberry Sour Cream Cake

We had themed drinks as well. We are all "Rooting" for you root beer. You are going to "Crush It" orange crush soda. Both in glass bottles because let's face it drinks taste better out of a bottle. Well at least I think so and just wanted the family to enjoy it as well.

Jack likes his new school and his new teacher.  The only thing we had issues with was getting back into homework. It is better now that we are two weeks in but that first day of homework was rough.
Really rough.