Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Five years! I can't believe it.

On the 6th of December I turned five!
It has been five years since Jake gave his wonderful healing cells to me.
Five years is a huge milestone after transplant. The likelihood of re occurrence is very low.
Since it was so huge we celebrated huge, with a week of partying.

My big day landed on a Thursday this year so the weekend before the boys and I went to Animal Kingdom. The weather was perfect and I was doing two of my most favorite things. Hanging out with my boys at Disney. I still get excited when we first walk into the park, no matter what park we are in. It is also so fun to share these wonderful things with Jack and to see him discover and enjoy the Disney magic.











Jason took two days off work to be with me!
Monday we dropped Jack of at school and headed up to the house for a walk through appointment before they put up the sheetrock. It was exciting I wish I would have gotten a picture of us in our hard hats.
After our appointment Jason and I headed to the Magic Kingdom alone! We have talked about being able to do this for a long time. It was wonderful and we were like the younger Whitney and Jason.

Not the best picture angle. Jason looks like he has a huge massive head!
Our trip however did remind us that our bodies are not like the young newly wed Jason and Whitney. We only spent three hours in the park. We went from Thunder Mountain to Splash Mountain, had a churro break, back to thunder mountain onto pirates, lunch and then got dole whips. We picked up Jack from school and had planned to go back with him but we were wiped. When we got home I crashed hard and felt a little sick and dizzy. It was also funny how fast we slipped back into parent mode. Gone are the days of endless partying!

Tuesday unfortunately I had a dentist appointment. I had so much anxiety over the dang dentist I had to have Jason come with me. It may sound kinda lame but it was a huge accomplishment that I went. I ended up having a tooth pulled that day but I got the laughing gas which seriously made it all worth it. It was just a gift to get that first initial appointment over with. I don't drive by the dentist office anymore and feel anxiety and dread, I have been carrying that around for a long time.

Wednesday my sweet Mama set up a surprise dinner at the Animal Kingdom lodge. Jason called me on his way home to deliver the news. He wanted to make sure I was up to going. When we walked in Mom, Dad, Jake and Meredith were waiting with a mickey birthday balloon. It was so wonderful to actually be able to be with and celebrate with Jake my donor! I wish we could have had all of those that took care of me at that table. I especially wish Cami and her family could have been there. I get emotional every time I think of the time spent in the Archer home. They let us live in their house both transplants. Cami was there taking care of me (along with two babies) day in and day out. Those were some of the darkest but happiest days. I mean we would never would have had that experience of living together and having our babies spend so much time together. Jack and Grace were like twins and will forever have a special bond.
It takes a lot of support and Jason and I are so lucky to have such wonderful families that helped us and continue to help us through the hard times. We are forever grateful.


Thursday night Jason walked in the door with his arms full of goodies. Pizza and bread from my favorite pizza place, donuts and two beautiful bouquets of flowers. Why I didn't take of picture of that sight is beyond me. We put a candle in my donut and I made my traditional wish. It is the same every year and every year my wish has come true.  This year was kind of a rough year with complications from a flare up of GVHD, going from two medications to twelve and  two hospital stays. It is not fun being sick all the time but whenever I get down it helps to remind myself of how lucky I am to be still be here.
I often ask Jason how he can do it working in the Bone Marrow Unit. He always says that it's hard but the days are made easier because he gets to come home to a success story.
We truly have seen miracles and we are beyond grateful for these last five years.