Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Sacrificing Sleep for Stories


Jack is now talking like crazy. It is actually sentences that you can understand. He is such a great mimic as well. He likes to help in the kitchen and he helps clean. One of the best things i have found of watching your child grow up is noticing similarities of yourself in your child. Jack has always loved his binkies and blankets. He always has to have at least two in his hand. Something that I did for several years. Lately one thing that I have really loved seeing is his love of books and stories. When he was little and I was going through my recovery from my spinal surgery I could do very little but I could hold him and read to him. He would often fall asleep in my arms as I read. Something that only I could do. It was so great to know that there was at least something I could do that no one else could take over and do while I was sick. I have loved every moment that we have gotten this last year at home when Jack climbs up into my lap with a book and we read together. He usually throws in one last request for one more story before I put him in bed. Last night when I went in to check on him at 10:00 Jack was sitting on his chair with a stack of books next to him just flipping through a book. He looked up at me casually and said "hi mama, read story?" So we read one of his favorites and I guess that is all he wanted because his eyes were closed as soon as he hit the pillow.