Saturday, May 1, 2010

May First

It is May 1st and that means two things.
1. It is May Day!
Growing up me and my sisters had fun being garden elves. On May first my mom would help us put together flower bundles to leave on the doorsteps of some of our neighbors. We took turns running up to the porch, leaving the flowers, ringing the doorbell and hiding. I still remember the face of June Reading (a lovely lady that lived in our neighborhood) light up when she saw the flower bundle. I even have a letter that she sent us one year.  
Cami and Mom I am assuming you don't have this since it was in my book so I will share the letter.

This is what it says.
Logan, Utah
May 3rd 1989
Dear Folks,
Some Elves visited me on Monday evening. I glimpsed them running from behind a hiding place. I thought that they looked the Brenchley children. Could it be? I arranged the May basket flowers into an arrangement for my coffee table. Whenever I look at them I think to myself "How lucky I am to live near such sweet Elves." I Love you all.
June Reading.

This also got me thinking. I remember leaving flowers on the doorstep of Brother and Sister Hill that lived just around the block corner. They are Jason's grandparents! They had both passed away before we had gotten married but that was fun to know that I was a little elf to them as well.
Yesterday Jack helped me pick out some flowers and last night I put our May day flower baskets together. I had so much fun making these and look forward being a garden elf with Jack tomorrow delivering them  on our way to church.


2. It's Mom and Dad's Wedding Anniversary!
Today they celebrated their 35th!

Jack and I got to celebrate with them at Hollywood Studios. They were so cute with their Anniversary pins! Everyone was telling them "Happy Anniversary"! It was great. They are still so much in love just like a couple of kids. I love it and them!
May 1st also brought our first day of 90 degree weather. Jack's and my pass expire while we are in Utah so today was the end of Disney season. We will meet again Disney when it is cooler!
We go to Disney a lot and each time I think we have taken all the pictures we need but today Jack wanted pictures with all the cool cars found throughout the park. His pose in each of these pictures was too good not to post.
The cross leg thing is totally new...I don't know why he had to pose like that but he did.


Today also marks the anniversary of my very first chemo. That was SIX years ago. It made me realize how much my life has changed and what a different person I am because of what happened six years ago.
I was so weary of the future sitting there during that first treatment. If only the now me could go back and tell that girl where she was going to be in six years I would. I wouldn't tell her how much she had to get through to get to this spot. But all I would have to do is show her (me) pictures of the two boys in my life and that would be more than enough. Because the me right now sure thinks they were all worth it.
Happy May 1st!